Wilma's Collision Repair
Shop History :
In 1975 we had a dream to own our own business. John Wilma had spent a number of years working and managing a shop.
We wanted to be a part of the Hayward community where we could live and raise our then our young daughter.
By October 1976 we were able to realize that dream of opening our own business, Wilma’s Collision Repair.
We designed and built it using many of the ideas we developed from working in the industry.
The 13,000 square foot building sits on almost an acre so there is plenty of off street parking for our customers.
- 1981 Joined Rotary Club of Hayward. Over the years served on many committees as well as Director.
- 1989 Hayward Chamber of Commerce 1st Business Person of the Year recipient.
- 1990’s served on the Rowell Ranch Advisory Board until in death in 2013.
- 1990’s member of the Cal State Hayward Affiliates (now Cal State East Bay).
- 2002-2003 President of the Rotary Club of Hayward.
- 2004 Awarded Outstanding Hayward Rotarian for his service to both Rotary and the Hayward community.
- 1985- present served on the St Rose Hospital Foundation board of directors and moved to Emeritus Director. She was Chair of the Board from 1985-1988. During that time she led the board to opening a mobile clinic to serve the local schools.
- And worked with the Rotary Club of Hayward to start the Silva Pediatric and Dental clinics.
- Chaired many fund raising committees including golf, fashion shows and the continuing St Rose Spectacular which she started in 1988
- Served as Vice Chair of the Alameda County Private Industry Council. She worked to help create job training partnerships. She was instrumental in helping to get funding for some of the first early childhood care programs so single Mothers could afford to enter the workforce.
- 1985-86 ACTEB Outstanding Performance Award.
- 1992 received the City of Hayward Business Person of the Year award.
- 1990-1994 Moreau Catholic Board of Directors. Started the tuition assistance program and rewrote the Mission Statement etc.
- 1998 on Support for US Troops overseas.
- Care packages to Iraq for soldiers serving at Prison Hospital—over 125 boxes including.
- 2002 Task Foce4 Medical Falcon with NATO /KFOR support packages
- 2006 -Kuwait support packages
- 2011-2012 Kuwait support packages
- 2013- present Alameda County Fair Board of Directors
- 2015 -present Alameda County Fair Foundation – Founding Director and current Secretary
- 2015-2016 Hayward Rotary Board of Directors
- 2014 Hayward Chamber of Commerce Business Person of the Year
- 2014- present Hayward Rotary Board Foundation
- 2019 Hayward Rotary Outstanding Rotarian of the Year.
When Lady, our Golden Retriever, came to the shop she was 5 years old. We were looking for a good home for her and as soon as she came to work she had found her new home.
She is a registered therapy pet with Therapy Pet.Com. For over 9 years she has been our
Chief Hospitality Officer. In addition to her work here at the shop she also has gone to hospitals, senior centers, assisted living facilities and schools .
At 14 plus years she is now doing a reading program for lower grade school children as well as doing comfort work at school. She has been to Tyrell Elementary and now is at All Saints Catholic School here in Hayward.